Saturday 29 May 2010

Odd Bob visits Chelsea...

Yes, yesterday I went to Chelsea!! Although, when I got off the underground and had to ask for directions, I realised that I should probably add the ‘Flower Show’ to the end of that.
Chelsea = part of London.
Chelsea Flower Show = big plants and gardening event which happens in Chelsea each year.
Therefore asking for directs to ‘Chelsea’ when in Chelsea is not useful!


But I did eventually find my way (mostly be just following the crowds) and then the real fun started.

Yes Chelsea itself was fun. I was completely overwhelmed by the variety of plants and displays and general oddness... But I was actually there for another reason.


You see the place I work had a garden with the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) which was supposed to be promoting biodiversity in gardens. My supervisor was meant to be there yesterday to fill people in on the science behind the exhibit. But having just got married and what with the open weekend and all last weekend she had way too much work to do...so she sent me instead!


So, plus side, free trip to Chelsea!! Down side...I spend the whole afternoon having to explain to people that I didn’t actually know what the majority of the plants on our stand were, or whether they were perennial, or how long they flowered for, or...you know, anything else these keen gardeners actually wanted to know...


I could tell them all about bumble bees and how there are far more nesting and living in people’s gardens than out in the country side! Not really what they wanted to hear about but some people showed genuine (or well feigned) interest. And by the end of the afternoon I could name maybe 50% of the plants in our display! So not all bad.


And I got to have a look around the show in general and take some photos...unfortunately my camera spent the whole day flashing its red ‘I’m hungry’ please charge me light! So I had to be a bit fugal...but hopefully some of the ones I got were ok...I really like the giant snails, just a little bigger than mine!!

1 comment:

  1. I've been to the Chelsea Flower Show several times (in the days, mainly, when I had a garden!) and always thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure I ever got used to the crowds though.

    But it's not really in Chelsea so I can imagine that might have led to some problems for you!

    I can only imagine how tiring a day working there must have been for you though - I'm glad you at least managed to get some wandering-around time.

    And I love the snails in the last picture - that kind of snail I could certainly cope with :-)

    ReplyDelete