Tuesday 25 May 2010

Odd Socks for Odd Bob...

I have finally finished knitting my first sock!! So more accurately this should probably be odd sock for Odd Bob…but anyway. I am so proud. You see my creative talents are rather minimal (surprising given that I come from a family of graphic designers, carving experts and fashion designers - ok so my sister isn’t exactly a fashion designer right now…but one dress she designed was made and sold so I’m using only a little creative licence.) But now I can officially knit socks (or sock…)


Admittedly there were a few teething troubles, for instance I started with way too many stitches which then had to be sneakily decreased (you can’t really tell…except that it’s very loose at the top) and then I decreased too much after the heel (so it’s rather tight at the bottom) o and then I finished the toe a little bit early (so it’s a little on the small side).

But hopefully I’ll learn from these mistakes and the second one will be even better, although at the moment it’s less than an inch and a half long.


But soon I will have 2 (slightly mismatched, far from perfect) socks!! Woo hoo! And if you think knitting is something that should be reserved for little old ladies rather than fitties obsessed, snail wrangling, bee tamers…you are wrong. Knitting is fun for all the family, even kick ass world saving cops (see demolition man!)


So I’ve mastered scarfs, getting the hang of socks…what next? Maybe gloves, hats, jumpers…the possibilities are endless!

Today socks, tomorrow the world!!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Sock! Well done you. Sock knitting is fun.
    I think socks are some of the most satisfying things you can knit. They don't take as long as jumpers, they're not as complex as lace, but they're more interesting that scarves and easier to make fit than hats (in my experience) and sufficiently impressive that other people go "wow, you made socks!" and have enough different shaping bits to keep you interested in the knitting process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still impressed by how the wool manages to make interesting patterns. People keep looking at it and going 'wow how do you get the patterns there?' and I have to tell them that actually i don't have to do anythign but knit and the wool does it by itself. It's really clever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the art of self promotion, don't tell them, just tell them it's a holistic processthat harnesses your inner spirit or chi or karma or any other new age bol**cks you think might make you some more money ;)

    ReplyDelete