Tuesday 18 May 2010

An odd mini fitties board...

I should probably start by explaining what a fitties board actually is…but I won’t. I’m going to start with the revamp of our toilets. (Don’t worry it will all make sense eventually). It all started before Christmas last year when the men’s toilets were closed off for several weeks for refurbishments. I didn’t think much of it (not being a man I had no cause to) until a couple of month ago when the same thing happened to the lady’s. Good news: we would have shiny new toilets…bad news; whilst the refurbishments took place we’d have to walk across the road to find alternative toilets.



A few weeks later the new toilets reopened with a very pink ceremony (yes things get a little dull around here so even the smallest things like new toilets become a major event, complete with photos!) Unfortunately I was away and missed all the fun (how sad). When I finally returned and had my first chance to check out the new facilities, the first thing I noticed (after the streamers and pink balloons still hanging from the ceiling) was the picture on each toilet door. A mini ‘fitties board’!



Now I’d better explain what that is. When I was at school (an all girls affair full of teenagers and raging hormones) someone (I still have no idea who) set up the first fittie’s board. A collection of photos of ‘fitties’ (hot guys) that anyone could add to (and then get teased or congratulated depending on your choice-aren’t teenage girls lovely?)




So I’m sat on the loo staring at this thing and torn between happy nostalgia and mild confusion that anyone would set up such a thing in the toilets. Then I noticed something else. Along with the usual Hollywood hotties (Pitt, Clooney & Depp) and a smattering of Bonds, there were also a rather large number of cowboys with black and white images less chosen to save on coloured ink and more because that was all that was available. It suddenly struck me that this mini fitties board had to have been compiled by someone at least a generation ahead of me. These were the sort of people who would interest my mother or (if she would ever admit to it) my grandmother (but she was raised much better than that!)



It does rather get me thinking, if I were to go back to school and see the next incarnation of fitties board would it have changed. Would our fav tennis starts (Roddick sadly missing but that’s another story) and actors have been replaced by the latest teen icons? Would there now be space for Jonas Brothers or Twilight stars? Would this next group of teenagers, had they looked on our board, be questioning just who some of our choices even were? And on a more personal notes…why did I never have the courage to put up my own fitties pictures to be ogled or ridiculed?



You may be thinking that this whole post is just an excuse to have a go now, to fill a blog with photos of random hot actors…you may be right, but it certainly brightened up my day:)

6 comments:

  1. I can't pretend I've ever had anything to do with, or even wanted to have anything to do with, boards covered with pictures of supposedly fit men ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....maybe it's a teenage girl thing?

    How about supposedly fit women?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say I've ever been involved in boards covered with pictures of supposedly fit women either.

    Maybe I'm just one of nature's innocents?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't remember what I was going to say.. or what the blog is about.... the pictures distracted me!

    Mmmmm Colin Farrell one is yummy as is Johnny Depp and, and and and!

    *Swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you'd like it Mills:)

    Unfortunately I have kinda deleted my anti- virus software atm and am swamped at work so will have to post next post (and more fitties pics:)) next week.

    And Ro you know it's not too late to get involved with boards coveerd with pics of supposedly fit women? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Probably not. I'm far too shy though ;-)

    ReplyDelete