Saturday 15 May 2010

Camera Shy Wildlife and a forgetful bob...

So I was walking home a few weeks back and a little late in the day (when all the busy scientists had scampered off home for the night) when I happened to pass our fish pond and there on the side was a heron! I’m stood watching the thing not 4m away and am torn between thinking:

Wow that is amazing! And he’s not even scared of me! Why don’t I have my camera with me?

And

Hang on a second…he’s going to eat my fish!!

(and our fish can't fight back like this one photographed by 'Mike Atkinson' 2004...yes I'm a scientist, must cite sources!!)



So I quickly make up my mind and take a few quick snaps on my phone then chase the bird away before it can catch any of our lovely coy.

The next day; same time, same place, there he is again. Obviously just taunting me now with his ‘I’m not scared of you’ act and I still don’t have a camera! That is incredibly annoying because I’m sure I could get brilliant photos…so I chase him off again (must save fish!) and head on my way home and immediately put my camera in my bag so I’ll have it with me next time.

The next day; same time, same place, but this time with my camera, there is predictably…no heron! And in fact every time I have my camera now there bird is nowhere to be seen.

Then Yesterday, in the middle of the day now (he’s getting bold!) he’s back! And predictably…I have no camera!

I’m sure however that the story is not yet over. One day (maybe tomorrow, maybe next year…but one day) I will remember my camera when that heron is around and I will get an amazingly stunning photo! Watch this space…

In the mean time...how about a photo of some swans which seem to be glowing...

3 comments:

  1. Or possibly angel swans.

    Have you considered carrying a camera around with you, Bob?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My camera's a bit big to fit in my pocket so I have it in my bag atm...unfortunately I don't always have my bag with me.

    I may need a pocket sized camera...or camera sized pockets?

    And I like ghost swans...possibly to go with my ghost fish but mostly 'cos they're less dangerous than zombie swans and less pretentious than angel swans.

    ReplyDelete