Tuesday 8 June 2010

Phones and chocolate do not mix!

I learnt this important (and in hind sight, obvious to anyone with half a brain cell) fact a few weeks ago. This is what happened:

Take one foil wrapped chocolate and place in pocket. Add mobile and heat gently over several hours. Remember to lean on and or sit on from time to time just to ensure that phone is liberally covered. Remove phone and swear!
Then I decided to wash the chocolate off (again not the best move; hind sight is an amazing thing...).

Surprisingly the phone still worked! Briefly. Until the battery died and I had no charger (long story). So I bought new charger, charged and...discovered that various buttons are now less than perfect. Specifically all the buttons down the right hand side and the big ‘ok’ button needed to unlock the phone! Very useful buttons in fact. Incredibly important for say entering the pin code...which I did wrong...three times.

Now I needed a PUK code! (Oooooh.) So I phoned up Orange who kindly provided a computerised voice telling me everything but what I needed to know (To hear your messages press 1, for billing information press 2, to hear plans for world domination press 3, if you are about ready to kill yourself press 4...) I tried every likely combination I could think of, (Yes I want to talk about my phone: 1. Yes I’m having trouble with my phone: 2, um now where’s the yes I need a PUK code option...?)

Finally I gave up and resorted to the internet...where I got the answer I needed 2 minutes later! Eventually forced my phone to type in the code (those buttons that didn’t work did, just about, with patient perseverance). Finally, miraculously, my phone worked again!

Currently it will do most things again (although I’ve taken the pin code off just in case). But vibrate has sadly died and half the buttons are still temperamental to say the least. But I have definitely learnt my lesson: phone + chocolate = bad combination!


And yes this was just a thinly veiled excuse for another Johnny Depp pic...I think I'll challenge myself next time to work Drew Fuller into a post...(and no I don't care if you don't know who that is, you soon will if I put him in the next post)

2 comments:

  1. You mean you didn't see this as God telling you to get a new phone?

    Who on earth has all those buttons nowadays? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given up listening to gods of any kind, they never make sense...

    And given what I do to technology I'm thinking new phone might not be such a good idea. Give me a crappy old Nokia that can be dropped down a well for four hours, washed in a washing machine, left in the snow over night, bounced off of walls...and still text in the morning! I love my old phones:)

    Chocolate however may be a step too far...

    ReplyDelete