Saturday 4 September 2010

The Odd God debate...


So Hawkings may have made a few enemies with his new book basically stating that ‘There is no God’ which immediately sparked off a mildly drunken debate last night about God, the Universe and everything (42)...whilst dressed as cowboys and Indians...with a live band playing just over there...It was an interesting night.

The conclusion we came to was: ‘Um...let’s get back to this when we’re a bit more sober...and when people’s other halfs aren’t desperately trying to drag them home...and when bar staff aren’t stood tapping their feet waiting oh so patiently to tidy up.’

Not the best answer, but then I think the three of us each had our own conclusions and failed completely to sway the other two.

1. People need a God to believe in; society needs religion as a moral compass.
2. Religion has caused so much pain and war and discrimination; isn’t it better to look at things rationally and come to our own conclusions rather than taking the word of some guy who says that ‘God’ told him so...possibly several thousand years ago.
3. I am perfectly happy to let you believe whatever you want to believe so long as you don’t try to make me do the same...or kill me for not doing so...oh and I don’t need religion to tell me what’s right or wrong thank you very much.

Being one of the ‘There is no God’ crowd I should probably feel a little hypocritical for stumbling into a church this afternoon mildly hung over and in search of free tea and biscuits and an art exhibition. Then again I was there for the art rather than the religion.

Stumbling back home from a fruitless shopping trip in which I bought only 1 of the 3 things I really needed (but did find cheap cuttlefish bones for my snails, so could be worse) I was suddenly stopped by a strange (but very friendly) old man who told me I should draw on a random piece of board. Why? Um...why not seemed to be the answer. I think the idea was that this large piece of board could be doodled on by random passersby in the hopes of creating something resembling art. This was the bait to drag people into the church proper where the arts and crafts exhibition was taking place with some of the artists around to demonstrate and chat with.

Despite being half asleep, mildly hung over and really ready to just get home I actually quite enjoyed myself chatting with a cross-stitcher and nibbling on cake. I am now fully motivated to finish knitting the next sock...once I’ve had a nap...
Then back to the God debate...is there, isn’t there & does it even matter?

5 comments:

  1. Hah! I like the comic thing, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But no matter how much science explains there will always be more we don't know. Hawkins thinks he's found the answer to how we came to be here but I'd bet my life he hasn't really. He'll have missed or fluffed over something that can't be explained, something almost magical. Like where this all really started. I mean the whole big bang thing is a brilliant theory but what started it and why? This whole universe is too amazing for there not to be a God out there responsible for it.

    Also: good luck on the next sock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd probably debate this with SallyT but the one thing I've figured out about the whole science v religion thing is that there's no changing someone's mind once they've made it up.

    Not that it's not fun to try sometimes, pointing out the contradictions within biblical texts or the barbarisms espoused by the same ... though, of course, the clever people point out that these have no relevance to whether there's a god or not.

    One other thing I've just realised though: I'll never be half clever enough to know whether Hawkins has really figured it out.

    I think Douglas Adams had it about right: "42" sums it up as well as anything else does! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nate: I know, I love it too:)

    Sally: I think the Universe is amazing enough without us creating a God to give all the credit to.

    Have new wool for new socks though, might have a pair or two finished by xmas...if i don't distract myself with too mcuh else!

    Ro: Completely agree on everything:) Especially Adams! So long and thanks for all the fish:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. See my book "The evil god" in internet.

    ReplyDelete